Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Northern Virginia Doctor Consultation

So, after finding a growth in the CT Scan, my doctor realized the two chemo drugs I was receiving was not working.  He was not sure why and wanted me to go to another doctor to talk about what to do next.  That doctor just happened to be in Northern Virginia.  Four hour car ride!!

My dad, his wife and my husband made the trek up there the night before.  I do not think any of us was familiar with the area but was lucky enough to not get lost!! Our hotel had an IHOP attached to it and that was our breakfast and dinner while we were there.

I was nervous to talk with the doctor.  My main fear was some really bad news.  He did say that I feel into a percentage of people who did not respond to a particular chemo.  He did say that there are other chemo treatments I can try.

As far as finding out which chemo to try, my best bet would be to take some fluid off my lung area, grow the cancer cells from there and test it against the other chemo drugs used in ovarian cancer.  I think he said there was about 15 other drugs that would be possible.  If I right, which ever chemo works best is the one yo be added to my treatment.  

The doctor also suggested genetic testing to see if I carry a gene for breast and ovarian cancer.  If it is found that I do carry the gene, my sister might have to get tested as well.  That is a scary thought to know that she has a chance of this as well.  First we will have to see about if I have the gene or not before anyone else is tested.  One step at a time!!

The doctor also said that as of right now, my current treatment of Avastin was the right path to go.  That was good to know.  Also, I can stay on the Avastin while on chemo.  I will try to talk a bit more about Avastin in another post.

I was very glad this doctor knew a direction to go in.  He knew how to talk to us in simple to understand terms.  No big fancy terms we would have to look up later!! He definitely had experience on his side!!

I am ready to get started on getting this fluid for testing.  Not sure how long this process will take.  This doctor will also send his recommendations to my doctor so he will know what to do for me.  I am excited and nervous about this all wrapped up into one.  

Praying for good news!!

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment